Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Leaping to my imminent death - aka Sky Tower Jump


I wouldn't have said i was scared of heights, the taller the better when it comes to roller coasters I say. However this isn't just height, this is 192m, with a sprawling panorama encompassing the tops of buildings, the harbour vista and a wind which is blowing like a gale at This height.

If I said this was the first time my mouth had gotten me into trouble I'd be lying, i found myself once again questioning what the fook I thought I was doing and how did i end up in this bright coloured jumpsuit?!

So i put the Sky Tower jump on my itinerary, and now i have navigated us all to the base of "the tower of doom". Time to put my money where my mouth is. To be honest from the bottom my resolve remained strong and i was still buoyed with the confidence of all that I have already put myself through during the start of the week. It was when i got into the ticket/visitor centre and got to see first hand via the multiple TV screens how high we were going to be as i saw the poor devil before me being prised off their centre of happiness and thrown into the air with gay abandon. Yes, Gay abandon...

My hands got sweaty, infact it was generally pretty hot all of a sudden and it wasnt until Fi said she would jump too that i felt comforted that we could both party in heaven together that i was able to slide my way over to the ticket booth and pay the lady and sign the sanity waiver.

I felt momentously better when i saw that we would be wearing all in one jumpsuits of Blue, Red and Yellow with massive lightening strikes across them. Surely in a getup like that I would be invincible.

Anyway i am self indulging. When i got to the top we took dibs on who was going to jump 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. Fi decided first was the only way to fly and ensure that she would be able to do it. I promptly chose second. Well my poor girl was taken into a glass room next to ours and put on the safety. If you could only see her face as she looked back at us all with an expression which screamed "what the fook am i doing" and "I dont want to do this anymore" mixed into one. Her walk down The Plank was made painstakingly slow as she dragged herself sideways inch by inch and interspersed with SOS looks. I want to tell you all that she pulled herself together and proudly leaped off the building but alas she decided going backwards off the building and letting go of the vice like grip only at the last minute was going to be her way.

Needless to say this did not fill me with courage, but it did confirm my resolve that I could do it. I managed to walk out fairly confidently and take the leap off the building on the first countdown (much to my own surprise). When I got to the bottom I felt completely weightless and the adrenaline had me 10ft tall and buzzing. I could see it in the eyes of all my friends as they landed at the bottom and it was fantastic to have shared that scare and exaltation with them all.

As Katie and I were speaking and trying to psych ourselves up to actually jump we both talked about how we wanted to be the type of people that could do things that scared us. Well we did it, so for that day, we were able to face a challenge and a fear and go with it anyway.

I was so proud of Fi, Katie, Amit, Tammy, Jill and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment